Some good starting points for getting started with Magento.
- Magento Products Comparison
- Features lists, videos and comparison chart from Magento.
- Easy E-Commerce With Magento
- Video overview of Magento feature set.
If you’re just checking out Magento, or are in the early days of assessing the platform, remember you can get relatively cheap hosting with 1-click or simple Magento installation included in your hosting package. When you’re ready to install it yourself, here’re a few good sets of directions. There are many more online as well.
- System Requirements
- Before you start, be sure your server meets the system requirements for Magento.
- Magento Installation Cheat Sheet
- Installing the Sample Data for Magento
- Installing Magento Using SSH
- How to Install Magento 1.4 Using the Full Release Bundle
- Video tutorial if you’re more of a visual learner.
Getting Started & Tutorials
- Wiki version of Magento User Guide
- Source material for the printed User Guide. The wiki version suffers from everything wikis always suffer from–uneven editing and coverage, newest features not included, etc. But it’s a good starting point for understanding the Magento feature set.
- How to set up a Magento website
- by SiteGround, breakdown of major steps to set up a Magento store from installation to operations.
- Magento for Designers Series/Session
- Good series of how-to tutorials from NetTuts.